Oh... the simple pleasures of a bowl of cornstarch and water! Gracie could mess with this for an entire afternoon... and I could easily watch her! These were taken in May, but we do this about every ten days or so... it never gets old!She loves getting goopy (Preston does not! That's his hand holding the spoon... and that's as close as he got!) and we find all kinds of ways to make it more entertaining - - as well as challenging from a fine motor perspective. I will make the mixture really firm at the bottom of the bowl and then add water. She ends up sticking her little hands into makeshift quicksand and gets her fingers stuck at the bottom. It's a lot of work for her to pull her fingers free - - and this is good for strengthening, plus it cracks her up! Using a spoons to stir and scoop - - and adding in miscellaneous objects/ingredients) also provide great fun along with strengthening hands, arms and fingers... and coordination.
Fun... with a purpose!
(A two-fold purpose, actually! Good OT... and good OCD management! She can't strip naked when her hands are immersed in this mess!)



4 comments:
What cute 4th pictures!!! Ben is ALSO a big fan of the cornstarch and water mixture and I'm glad you said something b/c I completely forgot about it... we need to do that. How do you make it firm on the bottom?
ooh! Ooblick! That's what I would make for my preschoolers. I think I would end up playing with it more than them! =) So fun.
Atta girl Grace.
Love,
Victoria
I am a HUGE fan of oobleck!
I made it with my first graders during our solid/liquid/gas unit - but I hadn't thought to do it with Viv. Thanks for the reminder! I love that Gracie loves it so much!
Looks like fun!!!
Post a Comment