I haven't done this in a while. A long while. And, really, it's a shame, because the bigger that the kids get, the faster I am forgetting these moments. The ones that make me want to freeze time.
John is out of town. He left on Sunday and gets back Saturday. Today is Wednesday. Gracie was already sick when he left and Gavin has gotten sick since. This morning, Preston woke up early and found me cuddling up with Gracie in her room. He joined us. We hung out talking with Gracie smiling between us. She LOVED being the meat in our little cuddle sandwich. He seemed so old, yet so young and sweet all at the same time - - glimpses into the future and the past all at once. When I got up to start getting things ready for them both to leave for school, he stayed with his sister. Her TV was on and he was watching with no sound, reading the captions. I came back in about ten minutes later (unbeknownst to either of them) to give Gracie her morning dose of Lasix and I could hear him talking to her. He was half talking and one-handed signing to her while rubbing her back, telling her he loves her, that he hopes she has a good day at school and that he and that he really likes her new room. Needless to say, I left quietly not wanting to disturb the sweet exchange and to compose myself. I am incredibly proud of the brother he is to his sister. I refrained from grabbing my camera... instead, jotting down here, and keeping mental picture that I will remember always.
Thursday, September 3, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment