JOHN:
With his return Sunday, he starts week 22 of 27 in the Academy. For the most part, it has flown by - - for both of us - - for different reasons. It's a weird phenomenon, actually. The days are long, but the weeks are fast. Does that even make sense?!I haven't updated much on him - - he's just taking it day-by-day. He's not really over-enthused about me sharing too much at this point - - he doesn't want to jinx anything as he still has several very crucial weeks to go.
The guys that he knows (other cadets and current officers) who've also been through actual Marine and Army boot camp say that the Academy makes boot camp look a little more like summer camp. It's definitely the hardest thing John's ever done voluntarily... he'll be the first to tell you that. (I say "voluntarily" because some of the events in our lives since Gracie was born have been equally difficult, but in vastly different ways, of course.)
He has dropped 15 lbs in the Academy and a total of 30 lbs since we started our own "Biggest Loser" (friendly) competition last summer.
GRACIE:
Due to some changes and "issues" with her IEP, she is now considered a Kindergartner. So... I feel a little robbed that what was thought of in my Mommy Brain for the last month as her "first day of Preschool" was actually her "first day of Kindergarten" but, to keep her current level of services, I will get over it. Her grade placement will be discussed again in April... so maybe my Mommy Brain will get a second chance!She's had a whole bevy of appointments! Cardiology, CardioThoracic Surgery follow-up(with another follow-up needed as she appears to be rejecting a stitch), Pulmonology, Dentist (she LOVES this!). She will have a much needed GI follow-up this coming week - - she's now lost all of the weight I managed to put on prior to her surgery. Several issues contributing to this: the stress of the surgery wreaked havoc on her gut (but she's handled it marvelously) and she's REFUSING to be hooked-up to her feeding during the day. This "refusal" is at home only... she is FINE in the car or in the stroller. "Stinkery" behavior... and a real battle to fight considering she needs every drop of fluid for hydration and caloric intake... UGH. Wish me luck on that one.
Drum roll, please... Miss Gracie has officially started sleeping in her room again! (Thanks in GREAT part to Nana... the "Gracie Whisperer!") For those of you not-in-the-know on this particular subject, Gracie has not slept regularly in her room since late in the summer of 2006. We have had what we referred to as "nightly slumber parties" in our family room. It's a very long story as so many factors contributed to this "family room/bedroom" situation... so I won't go into it! But, the fabulous, miraculous news is that it's FINALLY over! :-) Now I sleep (ON AN ACTUAL) bed in her room... I haven't slept on a real bed in my own home (with the exception of two nights) since I was two months pregnant with Preston! No more couch, floor or airbed for me! WOO HOO! Nana is my (and my back's) hero! And I am so proud of my big girl!
And, more news on Miss Gracie - - she has her first loose tooth. This is also very "big girl" of her and terrifying for me! I have feared this day since she stopped all functional swallowing. The dentist reassured me that once it's loose enough, I can dab a little Orajel on her gums and grab the tooth with some gauze and twist away. Knowing Gracie and her affinity for deep oral pressure (loves flossing, tooth brushing, the dentist, jaw input... you name it!) she probably would like it better without the Orajel! Anyway, there is a loose tooth and I will update here when the tooth fairy books her appointment at our house!

PRESTON:
While on the subject of teeth... he had his first dentist appointment. Unlike his sister, he did NOT enjoy it. He was perfectly happy both before and after, but definitely not during! See...
Both kids are in the no cavity club :) just like Mommy! Hopefully, they will continue on that path!
Anyway, back to Preston. His vocabulary is expanding each hour, it seems - - both sign and verbal. He just went to the doctor and at 16 months weighs in at 23 lbs, 6 oz. and is 32". His pediatrician thinks he's going to be tall. We'll see! He comes from tall stock... on both John's side and mine many of the men are/were over 6 feet... several of them well over six feet! Only time will tell and I am not anxious to rush that! After Preston did a bit of "showing off" and I answered all of his questions, he looked at me and said, "I have absolutely NO developmental concerns." Music to my ears :-). (Not that I have any... it's just a really nice thing to hear!)
He had his first haircut (which he LOVED!) back in June at 13 months. The shop we took him to has chairs that look like cars and airplanes for the kids. Preston thought he was Mr. Cool and couldn't get enough of looking at himself "driving" in the mirror! I had asked for just a trim and it ended up being a true "little boy" haircut. I was sad... and vowed to let it grow out and look "babyish" again. It's getting a little long and "flowy" and probably time for me to give in to the scissors (at least over his ears)! The pictures from that impromptu first haircut are on John's cell phone which hasn't been transferred to our computer. Perhaps sometime this winter I will get to that!
In May we had a joint birthday party for the kids... a fabulous day at McKinley Park in Sacramento. The weather was beautiful, as was the day. In my attempt to thank our family and friends (many of whom had traveled so far to be there), I stumbled all over my words and got so very emotional (big surprise). We waited a long time to have a "real" party that Miss Gracie could attend. While she didn't have the greatest day (nothing like the day she had on her actual birthday in April), she did really well for where she was at that time. It was incredibly special to have so many of the people who have lovingly supported us throughout the years there with us to celebrate.
I hardly took any pics because I was too busy! Thankfully, family and friends all shared theirs. Hundreds of great photos... too many to post... but I had to share this one of Gracie (actually one I did take!) and a collage of Preston that I have titled, "How To Eat a Birthday Cake."




5 comments:
What a great series of shots of Preston on his 1st birthday. Wish I had something similar, but Reu was asleep most of the day! A wonderful momento and such happy happy parents by his side. Truly delightful. I love too the rather excellent shot in the dentist's chair. Doesn't the dentist's clothes melting away in darkness provide a great background. Sorry, I must put away my analytical photo brain sometimes and just look at the beauty of the message conveyed. Keep snapping!
PS what sort of a dent have you made on photo albums of the kids in the last year? My goal, to actually make a first photo album for Reu or least finish his Blurb book as I've been trying to do for months... Makes me feel like a bad mama!
PPS Reuben's favourite bedtime comforting toy. The softie blue/white rabbit you bought him. He loves the feel of the silky part; it sends him to sleep every night. It's very touching. Has Preston grown out of his yet (onto cars and engines). Reu still likes the softie touch and he's just learned to sign Gentle (incidentally and Tiger at the same time) so we do gentle strokes on the rabbit.
Wow, Gracie does SO good at the dentist! I am amazed!! Katie does NOT like the dentist at all! :-)
Katie lost her first two teeth last year, probably when she was around Gracie's age. We panicked on the first one and took her in and had the dentist pull it (barely took him 5 seconds!). He showed us how to use gauze to pull one, and my husband pulled the second one that got loose. Thank goodness--things like that make me a little queasy! :-)
K, I love the slide show - such wonderful, happy photos! And I love the catch-up post, too! Lots of good stuff going on for my favorite Flock of Swanns! Talk soon!
Post a Comment